Sunday, August 24, 2008

Liquid Cheese Crack

I am a fairly healthy eater. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I make my own bread and English muffins each week, using whole grains and little sugar. I eat red meat rarely and chicken about once a week. And I eat very little processed foods. Our recycling bin rarely has more than peanut butter jars and coffee cans in it. This is how I have come to eat after learning to listen to what my body wants and needs.

So even though I try to eat mostly whole foods instead of processed, that doesn't mean that my body doesn't have it's little quirks. Case in point: Snyder's Hulless Puff'n Corn.

I can't remember exactly why we bought it the first time. Most processed foods don't even appeal to me--they taste like chemicals. But something attracted me to it and we bought a bag.

The first thing you need to know is that Puff'n Corn is a highly processed food product. The label hints that it's popcorn with the hulls magically removed, but actually it's an extruded corn product coated in a cheese-flavored powder.

The second thing that you need to know is that Puff'n Corn should be a controlled substance. It is instantly addictive. One bite and we were in a cheese-corn frenzy. Neither Kevin nor I could move our hands from bag to mouth and back again fast enough. The little cheese-flavored nuggets melt in your mouth--you barely have to chew them.

And they taste fabulous. Snyder's proudly proclaims that the bag contains "Our Famous Cheese Flavor." I don't know what cheese flavor means and I generally avoid "flavored" food products, but my principles get put aside in favor of this cheesy, melty goodness.

This Liquid Cheese Crack has become my food vice of choice. I've only had it twice: once about a month ago and then again yesterday. As with any overindulgence, binging leads to a hangover of feeling bloated and full. But, I know that some day in the future, I'll be minding my own business at the grocery store, diligently purchasing my fresh fruits and vegetables, when I'll hear the siren song of the liquid cheese crack and will heed its call.

How can I resist?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to try these, but I am extremely skeered.

Kimberly Davis said...

It's not a decision to be made lightly. You certainly don't want to find yourself face down on the table with your hands and mouth coated in orange cheese dust.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree entirely ... needs to be a controlled substance, very hard to resist eating the whole bag which is 2.5 oz / 70.8g, and apparently is 2.5 servings, by the way ... (right). There is a lot of fat and sodium per serving and double + that when you eat the whole bag, which is impossible to avoid. Am seeing these as made by Utz, I guess there was a merger or something.